PM: 3 x 2k/1k w/ 400 jog recovery, 12 miles
"Every mile is two in winter." - George Herbert
Today was our coldest morning of the winter, and tomorrow should be colder. Of course, we don't have any snow yet, but we do have bone-cracking wind chills. For the workout tonight, we had temperatures in the 20s with a single-digit wind chill. I kept my jacket on the entire time, and I had totally lost the sensation in my fingers just five minutes into the "warmup" (ironically).
As for the workout, the nasty cold didn't deter our group of eight (which, in retrospect, included runners from Penn State, Harvard, RIT, Colorado College, and Cape Cod...not quite the tropics). We still ran a strong effort given the conditions.
Splits: 6:25, 3:06, 6:21, 3:04, 6:19, 3:00
Something else to note is that I'm still babbling on runs, sort of like on Tuesday night, where I start to tell stories that don't have endings, or connect thoughts and ideas that aren't even remotely related. That's actually similar to when I fall asleep at night. I am usually conscious of when I'm falling asleep at night because when my head, lying on the pillow waiting for dreamland, starts to fill with inexplicable or unrelated thoughts, that's a tip-off to me that I'm almost asleep. This mental tip-off is also a red flag at work or, when I was in college, a lecture hall, that I'm drifting off to sleep and need to wake myself up.
Some friends and I were talking about this last weekend. I wish I could have a monotone professor give a lecture or play a movie while I'm trying to get to sleep every night. I can think back to times in college where I literally had to pry my eyelids open with my fingers to stay awake. Why can't I be that tired every night? I would be the most well-rested person on the planet.
To get back to my original point, the babbling is a sign I'm still lacking sleep from my recently completed project at work, perhaps somewhat ilustrated by my tangent on sleeping in the last two paragraphs. While I may as well have the linguistic chops of an auctioneer compared to someone like Chris "Silent Thunder" Bain, I would never label myself "overly talkative."
2 comments:
Reaves, you definitely talk too much. My problem is that all my stories have no point and are not related, whether I'm tired or not. So I keep my mouth shut.
Good workout last night.
You, sir, are a master of mum.
Post a Comment